Sweaty Stats: Had a few good workouts these past few days…so much so that I’m still sore! I did a short run and stairs workout with my running buddy on Friday. Going with a friend really keeps my motivation high and makes the time pass by much faster! I find that most people either LOVE working out with a friend, or HATE it. Why? Some like the solo time to think, reflect, etc. Me? I love chatting while I’m running! I know this is awful for breathing, form, tracking pace, etc. but I figure that I’m not an elite athlete, so I’m pretty sure I’ll be OK. Saturday I did a workout with my hubby, and as always….he kicked my booty! We ran and did some circuit training at a nearby park. While he works on push-ups, pull-ups, and other “guy” stuff, I got my lunges, side lunges, squats, and abs ripped! Well…maybe but not ripped, but I worked out hard. Then we headed to the convention center stairs and did a few sets before calling it quits. It was an amaze-balls workout that definitely got me back into my motivation mojo back!
I had quite the relaxing weekend catching up on a lot of TV! My brother-in-law was in from out of town and that meant that my husband was off catching up with him while I got to chill out at home.
I caught up on the last few episode of Grey’s Anatomy.
Does anyone still watch this show anymore? I feel like all my friends gave up on it a long time ago…if nothing else, I’m loyal.
Then I watched the first episode of Girls on HBO. The verdict, I was not impressed. Should I give it another chance?
And finally, I saw Beyonce’s documentary on HBO “Life is But a Dream.” I fell in love with Beyonce even more! I gotta say, I love me some Sasha Fierce!
On Sunday we had a very important task on our “to-do” list…watch Silver Linings Playbook. We set big goals for ourselves people. Fortunately we made it to the 11am showing and it was only 5.75! I couldn’t believe it. So it looks like I’m going to be a matinee movie goer along with all the early morning movie fans. Truth be told, there was only 1 other person in the theatre…maybe it’ll catch on 🙂 We saw Argo earlier in the week and LOVED it. Silver Linings Playbook was good, but not great. It was so intense and I’m stoked that Jennifer Lawrence won the Oscar for best actress, but I’m also ecstatic that Argo won for best picture. Ben Affleck had the best acceptance speech by far!
So on to the good stuff…Meal Planning!! Yay! (Insert the fan fare). This is kind of a weird week for us due to some evening family events, meetings etc. This always makes eating healthy tricky because it’s so much easier to just stop by and pick something up when it’s late and you’re hungry. Here’s what I’m planing, nothing fancy since it’s a busy week…just sticking to the basics.
- Pre-cooked chicken for quick stir-fry type dinners for the husband. This makes it easy for me to make some dinners ahead of time so that all he has to do heat it up when he gets home. This works for days when I’m getting home later.
- I bought some frozen brown rice this week since I know we’ll be busy. I usually make batched ahead of time and freeze portions, but didn’t have time this week. It’s good and easy…is there anything “bad” in the frozen variation that I should be aware of?
- Washed and chopped veggies for anything! Salad, stir-fry, etc.
- Washed and chopped fruit for topping cottage cheese and oatmeal.
I have a few tips that I try to follow when I know that I’ll be eating out:
- Eat in Anticipation: I try to eat lean and clean even more so than usual during the day if I know that I’ll be eating a meal out. This helps me plan for a few extra calories that are bound to be consumed at a restaurant. I’m not saying to you can throw all caution to the wind, but we absolutely know that even the healthiest restaurant meals still have more calories than what we’d normally have at home.
- Check the Menu: I ALWAYS check the menu ahead of time when I know I’m going to be eating out. Whether it’s a quick fast food place or a 5 star restaurant, looking at the menu helps me plan what I’m going to order before I even get there. Doing this helps bypass the “I’m raging hungry and going to order whatever looks good” effect when you get to dinner after a long day at work.
- Plan to take 1/2 home: Unless it’s a salad or something specifically off of a calorie conscious menu, always plan on taking half of your dinner home. If you have good will power you can just eat half and box it up at the end, but if you know you’ll power through the entire dish as soon as it hits the table, then have the server box up half before it even gets to you.
Aside from those 3 tips, always keep in mind your normal “healthy eating” lifestyle….and above all, have fun! Chances are you’re eating out for a reason – so enjoy it 🙂Did you watch the Oscar’s? What were you most excited about? Do you eat out often? How do you manage sticking to your healthy eating goals while enjoying a meal out?